We Gather to Worship
- Welcome and Announcements
- Prelude Lord Jesus Christ be present now by J. S. Bach
- Call to Worship
- On days when we think God has nothing to do with work or family or the world:
- The Book tells us of One who was a carpenter; who wandered the streets; who upset his family.
- On days when we think the purpose of life is to make more money and good times:
- The Book speaks of a life of giving away of ourselves and finding a community as we do so.
- On lives that often ache with loneliness and appear empty of love and laughter:
- The Book draws us into the embrace of God’s open heart.
- *Hymn # 390 (vs. 1, 2, 6 & 7) Spirit divine, attend our prayers
- Time for the Young and Young at Heart
- Oh Canada
O Canada! Our home and native land! True patriot love in all of us command. With glowing hearts we see thee rise, The True North strong and free! From far and wide, O Canada, we stand on guard for thee. God keep our land glorious and free! O Canada, we stand on guard for thee O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.
- Lesson from 2 Kings 2:1-14 (pg. 332 OT)The word of the Lord/ Thanks be to God
- Unison Prayer of Confession
Forgiving God, how easily we say we would follow You, but how often we live as if we don’t have a clue as to what that means. We choose to build walls as opposed to bridges. Our competitive nature wills us to win at all costs, when we could be engaged in serving You and others. We expect others to do for us and rarely ask what we might do for them. Forgive us, Gracious God. In the strength of God’s love, God cradles us in comfort; in moments so shadowed we trip over our fears, God lights the way for us; in joy which cascades into our souls, God fills us with healing. Restore and remake us in Your image. Amen.
- Declaration of Forgiveness
- Even when we cannot see it, God’s hope is all around us, surrounding us with peace and healing. I declare to you, through Christ our Lord, we are forgiven! Thanks be to God!
- *Hymn # 187 (tune # 314) We have come at Christ’s own bidding
We Listen for Christ’s Voice
- Prayer for Illumination
- Lesson from Luke 9:51-62 (pg. 70 NT)
The word of the Lord/ Thanks be to God
- Old Irish Blessing by Denes Agay
Words from the Anthem May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back! The sun shine warm upon your face, the rains fall soft upon your fields, and until we meet again, may God hold you in the palm of His hand. May the lord bless you and keep you, may the Lord cause his face to shine upon you- and give you peace.
- Sermon Are my Priorities Right?
We Respond to God’s Call
- *Hymn # 635 Brother, sister, let me serve you
- *Doxology # 79
- Prayer for Blessing of the Offering
- Pastoral Prayer and Lord’s Prayer (debts/debtors)
- *Hymn # 634 Will you come and follow me
- *Benediction and Amen Sing Amen # 264
- Postlude Piece d’orgue by J S Bach
- Please observe this as a time for silent reflection