Joy is a word we don’t use very well. Sometimes we mistake it for happiness. Other times we think it’s being exuberant. While these can be side-effects of joy, they aren’t what its all about. This third week of Advent, take time to embrace joy.
- How would you describe joy?
- Isaiah 9:1-7.
- In verses 1-5, what are some of the pictures used for joy in this passage?
- What changes are being described?
- In verses 6-7, what is the cause of this joy?
- “The Preacher’s Wife”.
- What changes take place for the preacher and his wife?
- How does Dudley change?
- What causes all this joy?
- Read or watch a new version of the original Christmas story.
- Maybe take in the children’s presentation at a church, or watch a movie version you haven’t seen before.
- Notice the changes taking place and what is causing them.
What difference does it make?
- Think of a situation in your life, or in the world, that has seemed gloomy, dark or discouraging.
- What might happen if joy arrived there?
- How could joy infuse that situation?
Sermon Topics: advent