What does the New Testament Say?
The church has struggled with how best to understand scripture that talk about same-sex behaviour. One thing has become clear: our starting point determines our end result. As we go through these passages, consider how the other side thinks and what their starting point might be.
- Name one idea in this section that you found helpful. Why? What did you find most challenging. Why?
- Share an example of a time when you read a scripture passage that seemed to be speaking directly to you.
- See the chart on Romans 1. After reading the summary of the traditionalist interpretation of Romans 1, what is clarifying? What is challenging?
- After reading the summary of the progressive interpretation of Romans 1, what is clarifying? What is challenging?
- What common ground, if any, do you see in these two perspectives?
- How does having some background regarding the seven texts that reference same-gender sexual activity help your understanding of our church’s conversation about this matter?
- How can we as Presbyterians disagree about how we interpret the scriptures and still remain together as a unified church? What other subjects can you think of where we disagree on how to interpret scripture across our denomination?